Library Rap

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Thing 7

Our library uses email to notify patrons of holds available and overdue items, if they have chosen that option. I also have several teachers who place requests via email instead of online requesting or calling.

Text messaging a librarian would be a futile task at our library as cell phone reception beyond the entrance is horrible. IM'ing would be great if a person needed help in the 4 hours a day we are open. Web conferencing could be a good use of resources for training purposes as most training is an hour away. Email would be a viable option for research questions, but a phone call or in person is still the most efficient way to do a reference interview and determine what the patron really needs.

I use text messaging in my personal life to reach family members with questions that don't necessarily need more than a one or two word answer. I've done some IM'ing, but most people I know (read "my age") would rather just pick up the phone. I see it more useful in an interoffice setting or to avoid long distance phone charges.

No comments:

Thing 8-Zoo to You slideshow

Teeny Fish Tank

23 Tunes from 23 Things on a Stick ning

My Library Thing